Sunday, November 22, 2009

Duh Moment..... Again

I was reading through Lesson 4 in 21 Life Lessons from Livin La Vida Low Carb and realized that I assume I will fail at this WOE (Way of Eating). That is a revelation that I would think would have been obvious to me, but it wasn't. I read how low fat diets, according to a 7 year study published in 2006, did not improve health or lead to significant weight loss. I read about Jimmy feeling miserable, deprived, constantly hungry and fraught with cravings during 1999 when he lost 170lb low fat dieting. I have been there. I have tried since a teenager numerous diets and I never succeeded, of course back then I was only 15lbs off being 'perfect' as I called it. To lose just 15 vanity lbs, as I was a size 9 back then and very very fit, I set myself up on all kinds of low fat and trendy diets that led to cravings, constant hunger, binges of eating from deprivation, then emotional eating and on and on until at 20 years old in 1998 I had gained from the healthy range for my frame and build of 170lbs to 225. All in trying to lose 15lbs to look more like a model I saw on TV or Magazines!!! Wow. I just realized all this and it makes my head and heart reel....

So my point?

This is a WOE not a diet. It makes me feel full, energetic. It stabilizes my blood sugar to a normal person's range with the help of tiny amounts of insulin as I have destroyed my pancreas with all this dieting and weight gain, and need a bit of insulin. It is improving my health as I am also learning in this book. It truly is a lifestyle change that improves me, not some fad diet I can't wait to get off of. And it is not like the others I have tried and failed at killing my self worth and making me feel as if I were a broken person who could never do anything because I couldnt do this basic thing - calories in calories out, self control etc. I will succeed and keep the weight off and be healthy!

I have also realized something else. I had focused on low carb because I am diabetic and so I felt cursed, doomed, and self pitying because unlike 'normal' people I HAD to eat this way or die. I came to low carb via Dr Richard K Bernstein's Diabetes Soloution and he states over and over how healthy this WOE is but I didn't catch it. Now I see that EVERYONE should be low carb to improve their health and I don't feel miserable and deprived because so and so around me can down half a pecan pie or even just a slice and be fine because I know what that is doing to their health, to their heart, to their liver, to their odds of cancer which feeds on sugar. When will everyone wake up and see the truth? I feel so sad for them

1 comment:

Jimmy Moore said...

I'm so proud of you Star. :) Thanks for your kind comments about my book. I'd love for you to share your thoughts in a review on Amazon.